Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Fractured



His tibia, that is. He began to walk again late yesterday albeit with a terrible limp, right before our appointment with the ortho. Of course we went anyway. She watched him limp around for awhile, took a look at it and said that while she didn't need an x-ray to tell her what was wrong, she'd do it regardless. She was AWESOME. She instantly put me at ease- we've really been beating ourselves up this week for not knowing if we should push the walking issue, not knowing if we were coddling him, not knowing if his response to pain was entirely accurate. (It sounds really shitty to say that you wondered if your kid was faking it, but here you go: I WONDERED IF MY KID WAS FAKING IT). Sue me. The ortho told me that toddlers don't know how to fake it. They don't know how to limp or quit walking just for effect. So now I have something else to feel shitty about! Whew! I was worried I had run out of things.

So he picked purple from the ring of colors they showed him, and was pretty tough throughout the whole casting process.

He's already walking on it. He rules.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lynne said...

He looks Great! Quite stylish. I'm glad he's too young to Know that purple is a girl color- apparently All colors are gender-related (per a reliable boy source). Just in case you didn't know that.
And I'm not sure I agree that toddlers don't know how to fake it. I know a couple who I'd nominate for an Oscar!

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! He looks so much happier!

It's sooo hard to tell a sprain from a fracture! Glad you found a great doc!

Healing vibes to both of you!
Claire

2:40 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Ok, I'm sick, but he looks so darn cute with (or without)his cast. Don't beat yourself up too much, I mean you had some professional help thinking he was, um, dramatizing the situation. Sending healing hugs.

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Nancy - he does look so cute! We're praying over here for a speedy recovery. Kel, you'd better get that stroller out!

Love you guys!

Gabi

6:38 AM  
Blogger Amnesia said...

Oh man....poor little guy. Don't be hard on yourself - it is not like you are a doctor. How could you know?

He doesn't look any worse for the wear.

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I just realized his ability to pose for pictures is passed on from Gramma Louise, who great gramma kay called "miss pris"
-Uncle Tim

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home